Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    got to love the 3.8!

Maybe one day it will grow up to a 6.2

Got to let me know how you like the new headers and exhaust they look really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by NabooJK View Post
    got to love the 3.8!

Maybe one day it will grow up to a 6.2

Got to let me know how you like the new headers and exhaust they look really nice!
    Will do
    "Do you even wheel bro? only if its with a Yeti "

Clifford the Big Red JK - Build Thread

Time to install the Ripp Supercharger 3.8L long tube headers. This mode comes from the need to replace a factory cast manifold for the 3rd time. They continue to crack.
    IMG_3977.jpg.
    IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg.

As part of the instructions, you have to take the transmission skid and cross member off and it’s under your rock slider, you must remove the rock slider.
    IMG_4001.jpg.
    IMG_3990.jpg

Removing the factory exhaust (sawzall is your friend)
    IMG_3984.jpg.
    IMG_3985.jpg.

Took off the fenders to get access to the side of the motor. Should we leave them off?
    IMG_4002.jpg.

Got all of the exhaust manifold bolts and found the last one was broken from the last time the dealer replaced the exhaust manifold. This was very frustrating. The crack was old and corroded.
    193B7686-A37E-481C-B8A4-6B63996D22F4.jpg.

Here is 3rd example of a cracked manifold.
    IMG_3992.jpg.

On to fixing the broken bolt. To get a drill in to try the easy out, I pulled the battery tray out
    IMG_3993.jpg.

So I got really frustrated. The easy out didn’t work. The bolt was seized. So I went and bought the M8-1.25 manifold bolt tap and used the tap drill to essentially drill out the existing bolt. I then used the tap to clean out the rest of it. It’s not perfect as it was before and the hole is off slightly but the manifold bolt holes have some play, enough to make it work.
    IMG_3997.jpg

So the 4-6 hour install was now delayed 3 hours.
    I got the headers wrapped and installed the passenger side ( get the wrap wet first, it helps a ton)
    IMG_3994.jpg.
    One of the things that is stated over and over is, “put the heat shields back on” so I did.
    IMG_3995.jpg.

After the manifold bolt disaster, her is the final installed pics of the passenger side.
    IMG_3998.jpg.

Day 2
    To finish the install of the crossover pipe with the cats and the muffler and new tail pipe. Then I have to reassemble the left side of the engine bay where the battery sits and put the fenders back on. (Ya it was easier to take the fenders off to access the manifold bolts)!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rccrwlr; 09-22-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Well let’s finish this install out. So the next day was filled with ups and downs. Got the cross tube wrapped and Installed. The clamps at the pipes are difficult to really get a good torque on and the exhaust wants to slip sideways to a funky angle. Grabbed some band clamps and used the impact and it still isn’t where I want it. The first fire with the wrapped pipes smoked like a Treager. The sound is good but the power pick up as measured from my butt dyno is fairly good. Seems the power comes on sooner. Acceleration is steady now up into the 3 digit range and keeps going. No drone at highway speeds. Now on to installing the tune

IMG_4006.jpg.
    IMG_4007.jpg.
    IMG_4009.jpg.
    IMG_4014.jpg.

This actually made a larger difference than I thought. Clean smooth power early in the curve...HP should be around 180-190 now. Lol

IMG_4031.jpg

nice job on the install and glad it seems to have improved the jeep. but i would be worried about the crossover pipe being that low? I would be worried about smashing it on any obstacle.