Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Dana 35 Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    202

    Hydro assist issues

    Wanted to some input on this. A little background - 2017 JKU, factory tapped box, PSC ram (1.75x8), -8high pressure conversion kit, PSC high volume pump kit, PSC 14 in single pass heat sink cooler. I installed the high flow pump kit along with the high-pressure conversion kit last March/April. Lately the steering has been getting stiff. I have not observed any bubbles in the reservoir. Went through the motions of bleeding the system. I did not observe any air bubbles. I am now noticing it to be stiff even when driving on the street.

    I contacted PSC and they said it could be the pump or box, but to make sure the pressure relief valve in the pump was clear. I removed the pump and didn’t see anything…I don’t know where the pressure relief valve is in the pump, but figured I would take it out and give it a look. Just finished re-installing the pump and am trying to bleed the system using PSC’s instructions. This is where I am now. It’s been a pain in the ass getting all the air out. Still getting a few small bubbles in the reservoir once in a while. So, I removed the ram from the axle leaving all lines connected so I could rotate the fittings above the ram. I wasn’t able to rotate the ram in place. I have attached a video of the ram when not attached to the axle. When turning passenger, the ram doesn’t begin to move until at full lock. Is this typical? Also, any tips for bleeding the system? It’s never been this difficult to bleed before. I may be sucking in air somewhere... I did get a fair amount of air come up when I removed the ram from the axle, but still getting bubbles a few bubbles.



  2. #2
    I said with all due respect Crippledpetey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    10,331
    Did you get both hoses for the conversion kit (high and low pressure hoses)? How are each fitting connected? Was Teflon tape used on the threads or just left bare on all fittings? Are there hose clamps on the fittings as well? I have a couple ideas by depending on the answers it may change haha.
    Powered by ADHD

    Current Rigs:
    2013 JK Build: The Mutt Build Thread
    2019 JHF Moonbuggy Build: Coming Soon!

    Past Rigs:
    2007 JHF Single Seat Buggy: Coming Soon! - Sold
    2018 JHF Buggy Build: Ballin' on a Budget - Burned Up in Camp Fire

  3. #3
    Dana 35 Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Crippledpetey View Post
    Did you get both hoses for the conversion kit (high and low pressure hoses)? How are each fitting connected? Was Teflon tape used on the threads or just left bare on all fittings? Are there hose clamps on the fittings as well? I have a couple ideas by depending on the answers it may change haha.
    I only installed the high pressure hose. The cooler was spliced into the factory return line and I'm actually not sure what hose was used to make the splice. The hoses in this section are clamped at both ends. The hoses between the cylinder and the box are from PSC with the field serviceable fittings and no clamps. If the the fitting is flared or has an o-ring seal, teflon tape was not used on the threads. Hose clamps were used on all barbed/slide on fittings; however, the clamps on the feed tube are the factory spring type versus the screw type.

    I did notice that the feed tube is dented due to rubbing on the air cleaner box. Could this cause turbulence in the line introducing bubbles?

  4. #4
    I said with all due respect Crippledpetey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    10,331
    Was the high pressure line added after? Did the symptoms start when it was added? I believe you need to match those hoses for volume. It also sounds like you have air coming in either via a bad o-ring or lack of a seal somewhere. I would double up the hose clamps or get really nice ones that’s hold good. Mine used to loosen and wiggle a lot. Do bubbles happen all the time are only when you’ve been driving for awhile? Do you see the bubbles pop up in the reservoir when someone turns the wheel or does it look more like tiny foam bubbles that you notice when you check the fluid?
    Powered by ADHD

    Current Rigs:
    2013 JK Build: The Mutt Build Thread
    2019 JHF Moonbuggy Build: Coming Soon!

    Past Rigs:
    2007 JHF Single Seat Buggy: Coming Soon! - Sold
    2018 JHF Buggy Build: Ballin' on a Budget - Burned Up in Camp Fire

  5. #5
    Dana 44 dwmgcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    907
    Seems like a bad or sticky relief valve to me
    "The day I grow up is the day I die"

    http://www.sevenoffroad.com/showthre...7-DWMGCS-Build

  6. #6
    I said with all due respect Crippledpetey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    10,331
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgcs View Post
    Seems like a bad or sticky relief valve to me
    That was a thought I had but wanted to rule out all the little annoying things.
    Powered by ADHD

    Current Rigs:
    2013 JK Build: The Mutt Build Thread
    2019 JHF Moonbuggy Build: Coming Soon!

    Past Rigs:
    2007 JHF Single Seat Buggy: Coming Soon! - Sold
    2018 JHF Buggy Build: Ballin' on a Budget - Burned Up in Camp Fire

  7. #7
    Dana 35 Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    202
    When I swapped out the original pump with the high-volume pump, I did the reservoir and the high-pressure hose at the same time. I did this back in March before Moab. Made the entire trip with out any issues. We went on a few day trips since Moab, but nothing difficult. Then we did Fordyce. We camped on the trail and on the second day, the steering became stiff in the afternoon towards the end of the trail. I did check the reservoir immediately and did not see any signs of air in the reservoir. When I got home, I went through the motions of bleeding the system and did not see any air come up in the reservoir. So the air in the system is new to me. I'm not saying there wasn't air in it, but I never noticed it even after making an effort to find it.

    I contacted PSC last week which brings me to where I am now. The air in the reservoir is new…and frustrating… I did not change anything. I drained the system, took the pump off, took a look-see and put the pump back on. I filled the system, and bled it like I always have.

    Now, when the motor is running, the bubbles range in size from <1mm to 2mm, not frothy.There are not many bubbles either and there was only a few tonight. I only noticed them when the motor was started tonight. The cylinder is still not mounted though; I'll get it mounted to the axle tomorrow and see if the resistance makes a difference. Maybe I just did a really shitty job a bleeding the system.

    I'll try some different clamps. Where is the pressure relief valve in the pump and how does somebody check it? The hoses are the same ones from the complete kits they sell, so I would assume they are ok.?.?

    Could there be an issue with running the stock box with this setup. PSC already tried to sell me a box today. They said that the pump puts out to much for the stock box to handle.

    I know I am fighting two issues here, stiff steering and now air. Thanks guys and sorry for the book…

  8. #8
    Dana 35 penny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    115

    plugged filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    When I swapped out the original pump with the high-volume pump, I did the reservoir and the high-pressure hose at the same time. I did this back in March before Moab. Made the entire trip with out any issues. We went on a few day trips since Moab, but nothing difficult. Then we did Fordyce. We camped on the trail and on the second day, the steering became stiff in the afternoon towards the end of the trail. I did check the reservoir immediately and did not see any signs of air in the reservoir. When I got home, I went through the motions of bleeding the system and did not see any air come up in the reservoir. So the air in the system is new to me. I'm not saying there wasn't air in it, but I never noticed it even after making an effort to find it.

    I contacted PSC last week which brings me to where I am now. The air in the reservoir is new…and frustrating… I did not change anything. I drained the system, took the pump off, took a look-see and put the pump back on. I filled the system, and bled it like I always have.

    Now, when the motor is running, the bubbles range in size from <1mm to 2mm, not frothy.There are not many bubbles either and there was only a few tonight. I only noticed them when the motor was started tonight. The cylinder is still not mounted though; I'll get it mounted to the axle tomorrow and see if the resistance makes a difference. Maybe I just did a really shitty job a bleeding the system.

    I'll try some different clamps. Where is the pressure relief valve in the pump and how does somebody check it? The hoses are the same ones from the complete kits they sell, so I would assume they are ok.?.?

    Could there be an issue with running the stock box with this setup. PSC already tried to sell me a box today. They said that the pump puts out to much for the stock box to handle.

    I know I am fighting two issues here, stiff steering and now air. Thanks guys and sorry for the book…
    I was having issues with my system and discovered there is a filter in the reservoir. In talking with the tech I guess some of the earlier hoses deteriorated internally and plugged up the filter. It's held in by one bolt through the center that you can see (or feel) just under the fluid in the reservoir. I ordered mine through PSC, but the tech told me they are a napa filter. Maybe give it a try, certainly can't hurt anything.
    Roads! We don't need no roads...

  9. #9
    Dana 35 Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by penny View Post
    I was having issues with my system and discovered there is a filter in the reservoir. In talking with the tech I guess some of the earlier hoses deteriorated internally and plugged up the filter. It's held in by one bolt through the center that you can see (or feel) just under the fluid in the reservoir. I ordered mine through PSC, but the tech told me they are a napa filter. Maybe give it a try, certainly can't hurt anything.

    Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Seven Offroad is a community of family and friends that all enjoy the outdoors and having fun. Whether we are wheeling the trail or meeting up for some wine tasting we share the same passion. We are a “family” focused wheeling community that likes to share the outdoors with other likeminded people. Seven Offroad is not specific to one type of vehicle or style. You can drive a Jeep, a Bronco, a Toyota, etc. from stock to buggy we welcome you all. Just remember you get to choose whom you enjoy the trail with!
Connect with us